Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Five things I can't live without. Well...I could, but I'd be super crabby about it.



We've got a couple new Wednesday bloggers - Tess Grant and Kellie St. James are joining us and you can check out their posts - Kellie's is here and Tess' is here. And Jess' is here and Leigh's is here.

So for the five things I can’t live without, I’m strictly sticking to things – as opposed to people or animals. Also, these are in no particular order because…they’re all important to my health and wellbeing. Okay – mostly just to my sanity. But that’s important, too.

Lip Balm - As soon as this topic came up, this was the first thing that popped into my head. Someone once told me that the definition of a lip balm addict was a person who used the entire tube before losing it.  I have never lost a tube of chapstick. Never. I have had small children eat them, but that’s not the same.  And like any good addict, I’ve got tubes stashed everywhere: on the nightstand next to my side of the bed, on my dresser,  on my desk, in my sewing table, in the medicine cabinet I the bathroom, in the side table next to the couch, in my car and (five of them) in my purse. No…I don’t have a problem. Why would you think that? Excuse me…my lips feel a little dry. 


   
      My phone - It’s not a huge secret that I have trouble with organization. A lot of trouble. Left to my own devices, I just sort of flit from one thing to another like some sort of demented faery.  With the calendar and errands apps, my phone helps to keep me organized. It also helps keep me in touch with the outside world (texting, calls, twitter facebook, word games) and it also helps me escape the outside world (kindle, pinterest) when I need to. I guess my phone is kinda like the Swiss Army knife for my brain.


      Tea– I’m a huge tea drinker. Hot, cold, with honey, without – I love my tea. I’ve always loved tea, but since I gave up Coke, I love it even more. Also…I need the caffeine. Yes...this is my tea cupboard. o.O



Crafting – It doesn’t matter if it’s knitting, cross stitch or sewing (or one of a million other things) I need to be able to find time to craft every day. It’s not only relaxing and fun, it frees up my brain to think about other things like story plots. This is my current project - a hat for one of my former daycare kids...who's not so kid-like anymore.




       Lake Superior – Okay, this is a pretty big thing. 31,700 square miles of big. But it’s even bigger in a way that has nothing to do with size and everything to do with the amount of peace it brings me to wade in its icy waters and listen to its crashing waves and watch its spectacular storms. It’s quite a hike to get up there from here, but I try to make it a minimum of twice a year. I know it sounds corny to say, but this place soothes my soul like no other.

7 comments:

Tess Grant said...

First of all, I go nowhere without Blistex, so I hear ya!

Second of all, how did I forget coffee on my list? It doesn't matter if I have the other five--I won't live to enjoy them without some caffeine.

Joselyn Vaughn said...

I'm with you on lip balm. I've never lost one either. The youngest does have a tendency to eat them though if they are not well hidden.

Jess Jarman said...

The lip balm made me laugh. :)

I bet craft supplies will come in handy during the impending zombie apocalypse...could total wield those knitting needs, sister. You know, protecting me while I try in vain to check tumblr. ;-)

barbara huffert said...

You mean you're not supposed to scoop out the last little bit of chapstick below the rim and use every bit?

Leigh said...

I love what you said about Lake Superior. I didn't put on my list, but I feel the same way about Lake Michigan. Listening to it always calms me. I could spend hours just watching and listening.

Bronwyn Green said...

@Tess - LOL! I was surprised about your lack of coffee! :D

@Jocelyn - Whhhhyyyyyyy to kids eat chapstick!? Ugh!

@Jess - I read your comment and immediately had to put some on. I will totally protect you with my knitting needles during the apocalypse. :D

@Barbara - Right!? Hubs said, "This tube is empty - recycle already." And I was all, "Nooooo! There still some in there."

@Leigh - I miss my lake. I need some wave time, soon. Sigh...

Simone Anderson said...

I'm becoming both an addict to lip balm and tea. I've never been to your lake, but the photos you've shared definitely deliver a sense of peace and beauty.