Friday, April 1, 2011

The Post Where Bron is Annoyed by a Paranormal TV Show.

I've seen Ghost Hunters once or twice and honestly, it doesn't really do anything for me. It's not that I don't believe in ghosts, because I do. I've had too many freaky things happen that couldn't be explained any other way.

So anyway, I watched the latest episode of Ghost Hunters the other night because they were investigating the Mission Point Resort on Mackinac Island. Having just been there last spring on the Field Trip of Doom with Corwin's class, I decided to tune in.

Okay, first off, I think if you're a professional ghost hunter trying to make contact with the other side, you should probably stay away from lying to ghosts. Telling a spirit that committed suicide over his girlfriend that his girlfriend is there and wants to talk to him is a super shitty thing to do.

Telling a little girl ghost that you have candy for her if she'll come out and talk to you is also super shitty. Who does that?

However, I'm even more appalled by a back lack of history and simple research. In fact, I had what's known in our family as "The Caitlin History Rage." This happens on a fairly regular basis when tv, movies or books eschew historical accuracy for the sake of a storyline. I won't even tell you what it was like around here when the DaVinci Code was at the height of its popularity. Suffice to say, it was ugly.

So, back to the Ghost Hunters, show. Apparently guests at the resort reported seeing a figure in long black robes. People had supposed that maybe he was a judge. At the end of the show when they were doing their post game wrap up with the guy that runs the resort, they said that they think it's unlikely that the ghost was a judge. They supposed that since the Mission Point Resort was also a college at one time, that the perhaps the black robed figure they saw was a professor.

Seriously? A professor? According to their "research" the college was open in the late 1960s. Guess what friend, college professors in the United States didn't wear robes in the late 60s. Tweed jackets with suede elbow patches? You bet. Long black robes? Not a chance.

But you know who did wear long black robes? Jesuit priests. You know...the ones who founded missionaries all over Michigan--especially in the U.P. In fact, the Iraquois dubbed them "Black Robes."

I bet if the Ghost Hunter actually had done research, they would have discovered that. Seriously...I'm not taking major research - this is Wikipedia level stuff, people. And the name Mission Point Resort? Gee, I bet that area was founded by missionaries and the name stuck. In fact, very near to Mission Point Resort is a statue of Father Marquette. Now, I'm not implying that the ghost of Father Marquette is wandering around the resort, but he wasn't the only black robed missionary on the island. The Jesuit priests continued to live among the native populace for years after Marquette's death in the 1670s.

I'm not even saying this should be common knowledge, but for fuck's sake, people. If you say you've done research - actually do it.

7 comments:

Brynn Paulin said...

I agree totally and I was horrified by the same things you mentioned. Also, it's common knowledge to anyone who lives in a cold icy area that buildings creak and make funny noises in the winter. All but two of the "noises" actually decipherable on their tapes were sounds I hear in my house on a daily basis during the winter. Wind makes the structure creak. Ice makes odd crackly sounds. And in the winter, sound carries like no ones business. I live on a lake -- a much smaller one than Mission Point is located on -- and these are regular sounds.

I was thoroughly disappointed by the show and serious lack of any substance. As someone who's dealt with a ghost or two, I was beyond pissed at their taunting behavior toward the ghosts. Enraged actually. I seriously was hoping that little girl ghost WOULD show up and kick the shit out of that one hunter. See, I am ticked. I just don't use that language outside of phone conversations with you :-)

Chris said...

Wow. Serious fail!

Anonymous said...

Well...graduating students have also been known to wear black robes. :)

I tuned in for this one too, seeing as how I grew up about 15 miles from Mackinaw City and have been to Mackinac Island too many times to count. You and my hubs would get along just fine, Bron. He unleashes sarcastic rage anytime he watches that show.

(You know, one of their original members gave an interview after leaving; she maintained after the SciFi Channel got involved, stuff was regularly faked for good ratings.)

Bronwyn Green said...

@ Brynn - I would have loved to have seen a ghost kick the crap out of those two interns. GUH!!!

@ Chris - It made me rageface.

@ Kelli - Ack! Graduation robes! See, I immediately go for Jesuit priest - lol. Maybe there's a story in this somewhere...

It's pretty depressing that shows that supposedly out there to prove/debunk paranormal phenomenon are willing to fake stuff. Grrr Argh

Cait said...

I had the rage this morning.

There was a paper that Mum hadn't graded sitting on the table while I was eating breakfast. Apparently she's helping a student by grading a non-psych paper of his for grammar and not content because his writing is so poorly.

He gave her a copy of a paper he wrote for his major: History.

OH. MY. HERODOTUS.

Apparently WWI started because some important heir to the crown got shot by a terrorist, and for that reason alone. No, really. The assassination was the sole cause of nearly thirty countries rallying to arms out of the clear blue sky. (Nevermind the previous forty-five years of turmoil and tension among the various nations, surely that doesn't matter.)

I ended up throwing the damn thing across the table. Andrew picked it up, read the first page, then dropped it while shaking his head and muttering, "Dumbass."

Oh, and the grammar... you'd die.

Lucia said...

i'm never watching them again!

Anny Cook said...

Why I don't watch TV...