Tuesday, December 16, 2008

'Tis the Season...

Well, the first two holiday parties are down...only six to go. Yeah...my family is insane when it comes to holiday parties, but at least we don't have to travel longer than an hour (depending on the weather) for any of them.

Saturday, we had our local writers group party and it was an absolute blast. I love this group of women - they're so supportive and funny and just a joy to be with. There was good food and Barnes and Noble gift cards all around. As an added bonus I got to snuggle with a dear friend's baby girl. Ah baby lust...I had it. Of course, now that I'm out of the proximity of the cuteness that is the baby, it's vanished. Which is good. I can't imagine having another baby at this point in my life. Seriously...yikes!

Also on Saturday, we had my husband's work party. He works for a largish international company that throws ridiculously lavish holiday parties. Unfortunately we had to go because it's mandatory for managers. Blech.

The people were all very nice, the food was good (particularly the chocolate sleigh centerpiece filled with truffles) the booze was free and there was even entertainment, but honestly I would have rather stayed home. I'm not comfortable in that kind of corporate atmosphere. When asked what I did for a living, I said I was a writer. Each time the response was a quizzical head tilt as if the questioner had just discovered some sort of exotic bug. After a while, it was kind of funny. Hubby and I were amused, anyway. At least we got to sit at the 'nerd table' with the rest of the IT department. Those guys are much more my speed, as opposed to the ones from the marketing and sales departments.


A friend sent me this picture. It actually looks like a more svelte version of our cat Rowan...who keeps happily eating the artificial needles off the Christmas tree and then vomiting them back up. Yeah...thanks Rowan.

6 comments:

Margaret Yang said...

That cat picture is made of awesome.

I haven't had to go to hubby's work party in about four years. They go to a restaurant right after work one day in early December and spouses normally don't go. Neener, neener, neener.

Anny Cook said...

No work parties. No family parties. No parties... yay?

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

dh's work party is tonight. It's the one day I'm glad he works in another town, so I have an excuse. He'll stop in on his way home say hello, then leave.

JacquƩline Roth said...

We've finished both work parites and are done with that now. Being six hundred miles in opposite directions from families we will have a quiet holiday. I hope you enjoy yours.

Anonymous said...

Hello, darling-pants. I love that "huh" look people get. Especially when they nod their heads like, "what do I say now?" :)

Unknown said...

Love the cat picture. Wow! 6 holiday parties! You're one busy and popular lady. Our work Christmas party was actually really good. Our department Christmas party is tomorrow morning. After that we only have the family parties left.