Thursday, April 3, 2008

Like I need one more thing...

I have a confession. I have a thing for musicians. Don't know what it is, but I've always had it. Give me a guy with a guitar and I'm a goner. Pianists are good too and if he can sing...well...you get the idea. Guys who aren't even that attractive become suddenly more so once they start playing. Anybody else suffer from musician lust or is it just me?




Here's my latest guy with a guitar crush... Damien Rice. Love him. I was going to put some youtube video clips in here to share the yumminess, but sadly, I can't figure out how.



Unfortunately, hubby doesn't have a musical bone in his body, so I'm the musical one in the family. (drums, bamboo flute, trumpet, french horn, singing) Well, Killian's pretty musical too. He plays flute and he's also started a guitar class at school - which was actually what I'd intended to blog about, but I got distracted by the thought of guys with guitars.



I've always wanted to play guitar but for various reasons (and excuses) I've never tried to learn. That's about to change. Killian's teacher found out I wanted to learn so she invited me to join the class. So every Monday and Wednesday afternoon, I hang out with 7th and 8th graders and practice with them. I can now play a G really well and so-so on the A and D, but I'm working on it.



I really don't need one more thing added to my list of insanity, but I couldn't turn down the offer of free lessons! Someday, maybe I'll be able to play along with Margaret and Jen.

So what about it? Musician lust? The desire to play an instrument? Anybody play one?

13 comments:

Margaret Yang said...

I didn't start playing guitar until I was 36 years old! Like you, it was one of those "someday" things. When I realized that someday might never come, I got myself some lessons.

Let you in on a little secret: Dar Williams' songs, for the most part, are pretty easy to play. You'll be rocking on "The Christians and the Pagans" in no time!

Unknown said...

Nope, I only play the usual things like the radio, the CD player. I never had the patience to learn an instrument

Unknown said...

I took guitar lessons as a teen, but I hardly remember anything. Same with organ. Hubby thinks he's a guitarist but I have never seen him play so I doubt it. My #2 son and #1 daughter both have guitars and are trying to teach themselves. Sometimes #2 daughter borrows #1 daughter's guitar and tries to teach herself, too. #2 daughter and #3 son want drums but our house is so tiny I have no clue where to put them.

Yeah, I think musicians are pretty sexy, too. I like David Cook on American Idol. And Bo Bice. And Michael Johns. And Constantine... Okay, I could go on and on.

barbara huffert said...

String bass for real. And piano. I've taught myself the cello, guitar and recorder. My latest project is the flute...always wanted to play that. Have fun!

Molly Daniels said...

I can pick out just about anything on one string, LOL:) That's all I retained from my one guitar lesson.

I wanted to play the harp, but mom steered me toward the keyboard. So I can also play the organ, piano, and any percussion instrument besides the snare drum (unless it's part of the trap set. Then I can!)

Recorder, yes. And I dated a trumpet player and could blow A note.

Singing? Questionable. I was once told I had a nice, soft soprano, but my kids keep telling me not to sing to the radio when they are in the car!

My current crush? Jon Bon Jovi and Daughtry.

sterlingwriter said...

I can't hold a note unless it's on paper. I know my mother took me to piano lessons (ahem) years ago and we were *forced* into choir in middle school, but I'd be hard pressed to remember anything but "The Teddy Bear's Picnic."
Lucky you! Free lessons! Way cool.
p.s. I'll be your singing audience any time you want.

Caffey said...

Bron, I'm deaf, but I remember my sister when she played guitar and too she traveled around with a group for a time (she was wild then, we remind her every now and then, LOL). She didn't play in the group but learned to play then. She's really still into alot of music but don't know what kind tho.

Sandra Cox said...

Okay, Bron, that's another one we've got in common, guitar man lust.

Jenny Trout said...

OMG, I haven't touched Lucy in months. She sits, forlorn, as I lovingly fondle my as yet nameless drum set.

If you want copies of the chords for some Dar songs (Margaret is right, they're super easy) I can make some for you. "Iowa" is beyond easy. "Another Mystery" is also easy, if you skip the key change which is all barre chords. I do, because I can't barre to save my soul.

Do you have a chord chart/dictionary yet? If you don't, I can email you one.

I'm so happy! You can join my non-existent rock band now!

Phoenix said...

You'd have been in heaven last night with me. I went with a friend to Mad Anthony's bar where they had open mic night. FABULOUS. There's this one guy Bill Certain who has a myspace page with his original guitar playing works. I think it's, www.myspace.com/BCertain

Anny Cook said...

Piano, guitar, bamboo flute, ocarina, psaltery,...

Enjoy your lessons!

Musicians? Josh Groban and Gary Allan. Violinist Joshua Bell.

Sommer Marsden said...

I played the flute for six year. Now I can only blow across the top. I took guitar for two months. My brain caught fire. Good luck! I'm sure you will do great.
BTW...I like musicians, too. V. much. Much easier to lust after a musician and his music that learn to play one.
;)
XOXO
Sommer

JacquƩline Roth said...

I play the clarinet, alto, bass and contra bass; I can play a bit of piano and used to play the guitar. I had a series of strokes long ago and I had to give it up. My hand just won't cooperate any more.

Margaret! I love Dar Williams. She is wonderful!

Oh, and musicians? Very sexy. My ex was a guitar player (that's how I learned).